You can subscribe to this blog here.
Week 15 Recap
Best week so far! 25% overall gain for the portfolio. I added a new chart showing each assets gain since the start of this experiment. It will typically show up last, but I'm putting it up high this week:
I also updated the code in the github repo to make it easier to use if you want to generate your own charts. Now all you need to do is clone the repo, run
npm install to install the dependencies, update the
bin/wallet.json file with your own coins, and then clear our the files in the
data folder. There's still some clunky parts though; if you want to render images automatically you'll need to update the
image-render.js file to change the mapping of Sundays to week #'s, and change the
nightly.sh script to use a new inception date instead of 2017-08-20 (the date that I started my experiment). Hopefully I'll find some time in the next week or two to resolve those annoyances.
Anyways, it was an eventful week, so without further ado:
- Bitcoin hit a new all time high of $9,700 USD. Won't be surpirsed if we hit $10,000 USD by tomorrow. I'm waiting (perhaps foolishly) for a nice correction to pick up more Bitcoin...we'll see if that materializes.
- Bitcoin Gold (BTG) surged this week, rising over 30% in 24 hours. Since I have zero faith in BTG, I decided it was time to cash out my unclaimed BTG that I had laying around from the October 25th BTG hard fork. For those not in the know, if you held Bitcoin prior to and during October 25th, you will have a corresponding amount of Bitcoin Gold on the BTG blockchain. I've been holding my Bitcoin in an Electrum wallet, so it wasn't an entirely straightforward process. Here's how I did it
- 1.) I transferred my Bitcoin from my Electrum wallet (let's call it wallet #1) to a new Electrum wallet (wallet #2). This step is done to ensure that if the private keys of wallet #1 get compromised during this process it won't endager my BTC.
- 2.) Electrum doesn't support BTG at the moment, so I turned to Coinami. I installed the Coinami Android app and created a new BTG wallet (wallet #3).
- 3.) In the BTG Coinami wallet (wallet #3), I swept my original Electrum wallet's private key (from wallet #1) into this wallet. That private key exists in both blockchains, and sweeping the balance from wallet #1 on the BTG chain to wallet #3 puts me in control of those coins.
- 4.) I sent my BTG from this wallet to an exchange where I turned around and sold it.
- Tether's treasury wallet was hacked and lost 30 million USD. Bitcoin lost around $600 USD in the hours following the announcement but quickly bounced back.
Week 15 Results
Except for LISK, every coin was up this week! LISK had the largest gains last week so it isn't much of a surprise to see it down this week.
AEON had more crazy gains this week; it's sitting at over 300% gained since this experiment started!
Winner this week: AEON with a gain of +10.17 USD (+33.06%). Biggest loser this week: LISK with a loss of $6.85 USD (-21.63%). Portfolio gain this week: $79.44 USD (+25%).
|Symbol||Quantity||Price||November 19th||November 26th||Week Change $||Week Change %|
Want to follow along?
If you're Canadian and want to try the same thing, I use QuadrigaCX (wire transfer, interac online) and Coinbase (VISA, Mastercard, AMEX) to purchase bitcoin, ethereum, or litecoin to transfer to an exchange that supports all these alternative currencies. I used HitBTC to buy all 31 currencies, but many exchanges will work just as well.